This review is about VO Genesis, by Jenny Lewis, and the training provided to help you find work in the voice over industry online.
Voice over work comes in many forms: videos games, tourist information, documentaries, promotional videos or perhaps for TV cartoon series.
But does this training really provide you with adequate advice on how to apply for jobs? Will you be shown how to edit audio samples and represent yourself well in job applications?
The website is - www.vogenesis.com and the price tag is $39.99.
This review is based on my personal opinion when I used this product and I will show you inside the members area so you can get a good idea of what to expect when you buy this voice over training module.
My Personal Experience
When I first joined I was expecting the same old low quality product. The sales video seems to good to be true and it certainly looks like it will produce a mediocre method for making money online.
However, once I entered the members area I could see that this product is OK. Naturally you get what you pay for, but it is a reasonable product. The training does reflect the price, $39.99, but it is a reasonable training module for learning voice over work and how to find a job within the industry.
Here are my reasons for my views.
What is inside the training?
Inside the training you will find 15 videos, each between 2 and 5 minutes long, which walk you through the various skills and technical abilities you need to efficiently find a job in the voice over artist industry.
These training modules are easy to follow as they are very short, all in video form and clearly show you how to edit audio source files, and uses slideshows to illustrate the message.
You see some very helpful and genuine tips, including:
- How to get set up on job databases to find voice over work.
- Quickest way to get recording equipment set up.
- How to set up your equipment properly to ensure the best audio quality.
- Tips and tricks for recording demos and sample voice recording.
- How to edit your audio using a free editing software.
- How to avoid awkward pauses, background noise, etc.
- How to convey your tone of voice to suit different job descriptions, such as joyful and exuberant, for example.
- Detailed tutorials of how to edit your audio samples in a free editing software.
- How to emphasise on the right words when auditioning to help secure jobs.
- How to analyse scripts from clients so you can make the best delivery.
The training goes into more details about various techniques to increase the quality of your auditions and sample portfolio. This is achieved by varying your vocal tension, sincerity and how to connect with the audience.
The modules teaches you diferent techniques to make your voice over work sound a little different from other. This includes:
- Breathing techniques
- How to analyse breaks in the scripts, which is used in conjunction with breathing and vocal tension.
- Connecting with your commercial voice over by expressing emotion and conviction.
This is a small sample of what you learn inside the membership area. I am not saying it is the best training available online but for the price you pay, it is pretty good and it will help you learn some great skills to becoming a better voice over artist.
The Ebook Training
There is also a 93 page eBook which comes with the training. This is a comprehensive collection of useful resources and websites where you can apply for jobs or seek further information about becoming a full time voice over artist.
There are a vast array of tips on how to:
- Learn cold readings,
- Improving mental muscle memory,
- Sounding convincing,
- Improving your eye-brain-mouth coordination,
- How to control your voice
- and much more!
You are given further names of websites and resources for learning more about scripts, more advanced training services and agencies where you can take your new career to another level.
There are also some great links to:
- Sourcing good audio equipment,
- One on one coaching,
- Building a home studio,
- Royalty-Free music sources,
- Recording equimpent
- and much more!
Will the training help you find work?
This depends on the person. The training itself will not make you money because YOU have to put the work in and reach out to find the jobs.
The training will give you resources, useful websites and the method to produce good voice overs but, at the end of the day, YOU need to produce them, practise and go out of your way to apply for projects.
How Much Money Will You Make?
This is impossible to say. I agree that the fee for voice over work is fantastic, you get paid $100+ to work for an hour or two. However, you do need to put in a lot of groundwork.
- build a portfolio of sample audio recording to send to prospective clients,
- be prepared for rejection and learn how to take constructive criticism,
- be prepared to apply for a LOT of jobs BEFORE you get a paid project,
- be willing to learn, adapt and improve everyday!
Making money as a voice over artist is no different from any other job because you have to work at it and be willing to dive into the niche with your heart and soul.
Regardless of your chosen area of expertise you will never achieve anything unless you give it at least 6 months of hard work and commitment. Making money online takes time!
So, will the training from Genesis help you make money? ABSOLUTELY! But only if you are willing to put in the effort! The training itself won't magically get you a job.
is VO Genesis a scam?
No. I know it is rare for me to say this but the Voice Over Training By Genesis is a good place for a beginner voice over artist to start learning and hopefully make money.
It is certainly not perfect but you get what you pay for. The price tag of $39.99, is a very reasonable cost for the information you receive.
I would recommend you give it a try because it also comes with a 60 day money back guarantee so there really is no reason why you should let this opportunity slip by.
Have you had any experience with this training? Share your thoughts in the comments below!